#159160  by brbadg
 Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm
miket573 wrote:I went to SLC, and the Boulder Shows. Watched several on the couch(Oh my thank you for couch tour)
Including both Wrigley Shows. One can just hope that this group does a few more tours.

They really are killing it. Oteil is just at the forefront of what he could be with respect to vocals with this combo.
Next up, I would love to see him take a stab at It must have been the Roses.
C,mon man,really? This was the one song that let the air out of the balloon when we were going to actual Dead shows!
 #161484  by mrMix
 Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 am
I caught a couple of minutes of BEW last night. Came off like a lullaby and left me feeling more sad than psyched that I have tix for 6/16/18.
 #161485  by FrettyBoy
 Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 am
mrMix wrote:
I caught a couple of minutes of BEW last night. Came off like a lullaby and left me feeling more sad than psyched that I have tix for 6/16/18.
Sadly, I've got to agree. SLEEPY, through most of the show, at least via the NUGS Feed. Now, someone that was at the show last night told me John was mixed loud and "ripped it up". I hope that was the case, it not come across that way on the feed. I "might" purchase one more NUGS and see if it improves. They really do need to PICK IT UP occasionally though!!!!

I really WANT to love this, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but....look at the talent....LET'S GO GUYS
!
 #161486  by lightningbolt
 Thu May 31, 2018 5:18 am
FrettyBoy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 am
mrMix wrote:
Sadly, I've got to agree. SLEEPY, through most of the show, at least via the NUGS Feed. Now, someone that was at the show last night told me John was mixed loud and "ripped it up". I hope that was the case, it not come across that way on the feed. I "might" purchase one more NUGS and see if it improves. They really do need to PICK IT UP occasionally though!!!!

I really WANT to love this, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but....look at the talent....LET'S GO GUYS
!
Totally agree about the mix through the stream. John way too low and Bob a bit higher then I prefer. On a positive note, Oteil was higher in the mix then previous Nugs streams.
 #161496  by TI4-1009
 Thu May 31, 2018 5:18 pm
I guess they can't revoke your soul for tryin.
 #161499  by Rob303
 Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:18 am
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of this thread. Really nothing more to add, but at this point I'm not in it for mind-blowing stage chemistry and jams. I just want to participate while Bobby/Mickey/Billy are still willing to drive this train.
Jon S., brbadg, FrettyBoy and 1 others liked this
 #161502  by brbadg
 Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:22 am
I 'm ok with that. I just happen to prefer Bob with Phil. I also prefer what Phil is doing over DeadCo. I like the different lineups.I also like what John K is doing.
 #161599  by kyleciarrocchi
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 am
i think its just a shame. i still love it and personally its not a make or break thing but they are getting older which causes them to be slower i think, last year they still played things more upbeat and in ‘16 even more, so i do agree its a little odd that this tour in particular is so dragging and slow. the same thing i feel like is happening to phish which is really a shame cause i am 17 years old and just got to that age where i could start seeing phish and i only got into them pretty recently and it just so happens to feel like they have been playing not as good since like 2016, like i just missed the boat or something. i hope someone has said something to them im sure they can still play much faster. its just really weird how it was like noticably so sudden, for both bands. like trey still rips but you can tell hes getting okder while in ‘16 he was still goin nuts. i just know they can pick it up and i hope they do. still will continue to see both bands though, still fun and love the shows! dead and co is and always will be better than furthur and the other ones and all that
 #161602  by Jon S.
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 am
brbadg wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:22 am
I 'm ok with that. I just happen to prefer Bob with Phil. I also prefer what Phil is doing over DeadCo. I like the different lineups.I also like what John K is doing.
And I'm ok with this though I differ on all points!

Clarification: John K's been local to my neck of the woods for a while now. I've caught him live probably a hundred times with different lineups. I like him with his own band a lot and best.
aiq liked this
 #161603  by lightningbolt
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 am
I really do not believe the tempos have any correlation to the bands age.

There are plenty of bands around from the same age demographic that play songs at exactly the same tempo in which they were originally recorded.

The slower tempos on some songs is a conscious choice the band is making for reasons we most likely will never be made aware of.

In my opinion the music has been inspired. The band is getting better and better. Some things are slower, some are faster. If you are looking for things to remain exactly as they were, you should follow a band that plays to a click track. Things change...that is the Grateful Dead way.

To paraphrase Gary Lambert on Tales from the Golden Road...the most annoying thing about the tempo conversation is the tempo conversation.
 #161604  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:46 pm
The troubling part of the tempo is that so many are the same. It's all mid-80s bpm to my ears. I'm sure that's a beat that is easy for the band and somewhere they all click. But still...

Similar tempos are like similar keys to me. Wears quickly...
 #161609  by Rob303
 Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 pm
Fwiw - these last 11 days have had me not notice the tempo. Either it’s become more dynamic through the show or the playing is so good I don’t notice the bpm. 🤟🏼😖🤟🏼
lightningbolt liked this
 #161611  by lovetoboogie
 Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 am
I admittedly will not get a chance to see Dead and Co this year. Just too busy with work and gigs. I did watch "some" of the Mansfield, Camden & Raleigh show online. Its just genuinely nice to see Weir out there like a troubadour doing his thing. Alot of my closest friends were at some gigs. Cats I toured with in the 80's. My bestie sent me his post SPAC analysis last night. This is a friend I have been seeing the Dead with since 1979. We also saw Kiss in 76' together...so his views are generally mine as well. When I can't view or hear something nowadays in person he gives me the skinny...here is his lone message right after the show while sitting in his car waiting for the smoke to clear so to speak...

"Weir seemed off his game most of the night. Besides miscounting riffs and an uncharacteristic lack of dynamics... At one point he counted off a song and then stopped it right before 4 because he realized he had the wrong guitar on. Then for Friend Of The Devil he forgot to switch to acoustic. So he switched third of the way through, then he couldn’t figure out how to turn the thing on. It was hilarious watching him futz with his stomp boxes and bend down and turn nobs. Then he finally got it. There was more of this kind of stuff too. More than usual I would say. Just an observation. Otiel is now using a pick about half the time. He’s not quite as proficient as with his fingers and he plays a lot of chords with the pick but it still sounds great. Maybe he’s trying to get closer to the old Phil sound on a few songs. Chimenti needs to lay off those jazz chords. He should play with one hand for a gig. Bet it would sound incredible. Too many extensions are making every tune sound like Elton John or Liberace. Mayer has improved a lot since last fall. He’s really letting the music play him now. The solos flow, go way out there and come back. Its a double edge sword. Its as if it's Mayers band. They wait for him to run out of ideas then return to a chorus or verse. Can't decide if I like it still or not. That concerns me...that I can't decide. The drums are really downsized for this tour. And the drum segment was really subdued. Mostly Mickey on The Beam and Bill drumming over it. Not bad, just different. The tempo thing is real. Its NOT a band slowing things down to explore dynamics and textures. I wish it was that. It still sounds like a band learning to play together. Your band should play SPAC! At least we'd have some groovin tempos. Some really kind folks near our seats. Everyone was laid back and checking their phones every 2 seconds. Guy in front of me was watching Festival Express on his tablet. Kid you not! Maybe I’m just old and intolerant now. Hmmmm."
Gr8fulCadi, brbadg liked this