Talk about the recent Tours
 #161474  by Jon S.
 Wed May 30, 2018 3:08 pm
John Mayer

(My annual post.) The night before a new Dead&Co tour is always deeply felt. I wish I was going to a Grateful Dead concert tomorrow. I wish I was dancing with my friends while we listened to Jerry and the band play. But it’s the honor of a lifetime to convert my love for this music into the further telling of this beautiful, timeless story with some of its brilliant authors. I’m like anyone else who was ever moved by this music, who was discovered by it, and not the other way around. My love for the Grateful Dead is immense, but not extraordinary. I am in that crowd. Just represented from the stage. And I think of Jerry Garcia and his intentions with every song we play. I’m only there so that on my best of nights, you might get to him. “The storyteller makes no choice soon you will not hear his voice his job is to shed light and not to master”

https://www.facebook.com/johnmayer/?hc_ ... E8&fref=nf

I love Mayer with Dead and Company and am looking forward to my 4th show this tour, this one in Eugene, OR. (If you'll be there, too, feel free to drop me a message. :cheers: )
tcsned, strumminsix liked this
 #161475  by waldo041
 Wed May 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Jon S. wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:08 pm
And I think of Jerry Garcia and his intentions with every song we play. I’m only there so that on my best of nights, you might get to him.
~waldo
 #161478  by Gr8fulCadi
 Wed May 30, 2018 4:55 pm
Really looking forward to seeing them at Alpine Valley this year. I’ve seen them with Trey which was great too, but Mayer’s playing really fits in well, imo.
My daughter was born 6/30/17 which they played Wrigley Field and I obviously had to give my tickets away for that one so needless to say, I’m pumped!!
 #161483  by TI4-1009
 Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:55 pm
My daughter was born 6/30/17 which they played Wrigley Field and I obviously had to give my tickets away for that one so needless to say, I’m pumped!!
I feel your pain- still! I missed 4/16/84 Rochester after my second daughter was born. Good things on the way though, she still talks about the RFK shows I took her to later on. :-)
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #161487  by Jon S.
 Thu May 31, 2018 7:09 am
I think I've caught live every post-Dead iteration Bob's done with a variety of fine guitarists. I like the current iteration the best. Mayer is a superb fit as is Burbridge. Both respect the past while bringing their own skills and phrasing to the table. Approaching our musical inspirations not as redeemers but luminaries yields wagons loaded with gold and enkindling twilights.
 #161488  by Jon S.
 Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 am
Can't resist adding this (just a lighthearted new pop song). :P
Silver Sky at 2:27, if interested.

#161508  by Jimv
 Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 pm
Taking my 11 year old son to Eugene for his first ever. He has taken up the drums and his favorite song is Shakedown. Not only can I not believe I jam with him at home to the dead, but that I'm taking him to see the boys drum. Big deal for me. Thank you Jerry. - thanks Jon
 #161509  by Jon S.
 Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:04 am
Jimv wrote:
Taking my 11 year old son to Eugene for his first ever. He has taken up the drums and his favorite song is Shakedown. Not only can I not believe I jam with him at home to the dead, but that I'm taking him to see the boys drum. Big deal for me. Thank you Jerry. - thanks Jon
Amazing you'd say this! My son (20) who is mainly into hip hop and rap also recently started listening to some Dead and his fave song is also Shakedown!

What section will be in at the Eugene show? A friend copped my tix for me but I know that as you face the stage from the audience, we'll be in row 12 (IIRC) of the section in the near-exact middle left side.
 #161517  by Jimv
 Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:09 pm
What section will be in at the Eugene show? A friend copped my tix for me but I know that as you face the stage from the audience, we'll be in row 12 (IIRC) of the section in the near-exact middle left side.
Ha! Too cool!
I'm not at home as I write this, but my tix are between the board and the pit right side, I'm pretty sure, row 12 or 14. We are pretty close, I think. Ha! of course! We will have to say hello, Jon. If possible, I hang, dance, as close to the board as possible, but I'll shoot you seat numbers or something before. Aren't you a social worker? I went bak to school and am headed in that direction...
Yea, my poor kid, hehe, he grew up listening to "uncle jerry." Now, as a kid learning to play a couple instuments, he listens intently to jerry's playing. I never thought jerry would be helping my child to listen, really listen, to music, and feel it, as he tought me and so many others.
 #161518  by Jimv
 Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:10 pm
Jon S. wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:04 am
Jimv wrote:
Amazing you'd say this! My son (20) who is mainly into hip hop and rap also recently started listening to some Dead and his fave song is also Shakedown!